1lb fresh raspberries
2oz white sugar
1/2 pint water
8oz plain flour
pinch of salt
4oz brown sugar
2oz chopped walnuts
20z rolled porridge oats
knob butter or margarine
1. Heat the oven to 350 / 180 / gas 4. Grease a large baking dish with the knob of butter or margarine.
2. Wash the raspberries. Place them in large pan. Add the water and white sugar. Heat gently until the water boils.
3. Stir well for two minutes. Turn off the heat, but leave the raspberries cooking in the pan.
4. In a large mixing bowl sift the flour and add the salt. Chop up the butter into small pieces and rub in until the crumble topping looks like large breadcrumbs.
5. Stir in the brown sugar, chopped nuts, and porridge oats. Mix thoroughly.
6. Place the raspberries inside the greased baking dish.
7. Add the crumble topping. Smooth out. Press into the edges of the dish to seal the fruit mix below.
8. Bake in the middle of the oven for 30-45 minutes, until the topping is crisp and the edges turn brown.
9. Cool before serving.
This tasty dessert is great with fresh whipped cream, pouring cream, vanilla ice cream, or English custard. The raspberries can be replaced with blackberries, strawberries, blackcurrants, gooseberries, rhubarb, or apples!