Oat Cakes have long been a favorite cracker in the North of England and Scotland. They are delicious served buttered, with cheese and Branston Pickle, or with chutney. For a sweeter treat try them with berry compote, jelly, or jam!
4oz rolled oats
1 tablespoon rolled oats
4oz whole wheat flour
4oz unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
3oz black treacle
1. Set oven 200c / 400f / Gas 5.
2. For triangles: Grease a sandwich tin with butter and dust lightly with a half tablespoon of oats.
For rounds: Grease a baking tray with butter and dust lightly with a half tablespoon of oats.
3. Sieve the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl and stir in the oats.
4. Place the butter, black treacle, and sugar in a saucepan and melt over a low heat on the stove.
5. Add the sieved ingredients and mix thoroughly.
6. For triangles: Press the mixture into sandwich tin and sprinkle the remaining half tablespoon of oats on top. For rounds: Roll out the mixture on floured surface and cut into circles with a biscuit cutter. Sprinkle the remaining half tablespoon of oats on top.
7. Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 – 30 minutes until the mixture is dry and slightly brown.
8. For triangles: Cool slightly. Cut into wedges. Remove carefully and continue cooling on a wire tray. For rounds: Cool slightly. Carefully remove to a wire tray.