Did you know:
- Mushroom poisoning is called mycetism.
- About 100 types of fungi are toxic to humans.
- Most deaths occur from eating the Death Cap (Amanita phalloides):
- Death Caps are a sticky pale yellow or olive green color, and their caps measure 3-6 inches.
- They are easily peeled and often mistaken for edible varieties like the Button or Caesar mushrooms.
- Found during the Fall, this fungus grows in woods near the bases of trees. It likes hardwoods, preferably oaks and pines.
- Death Caps are pretty and taste pleasant. The effects of poisoning do not appear until 2-3 days after ingestion. Death occurs 6 – 16 days later.
- Toxicity is not reduced by cooking, baking, drying or freezing.
- Poisoning produces diarrhea, vomiting, delirium, seizures, coma, and eventually results in fatal organ failure.
- Victims of mushroom poisoning may have included Emperor Claudius (AD 54), Pope Clement VIII (1554) and Holy Roman Emperor Charles VI (1740).
- The Death Cap is closely associated with The Destroying Angel. This all-white mushroom is just as deadly as its cousin.
Adams, Cat. “Most Dangerous Mushroom” at slate.com
Fischer, David. “The Death Cap Mushroom” at americanmushrooms.com
Wikipedia. “Amanita phalloides” at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_phalloides
(Photos: Public Domain)
Copyright © 2021 | KitPerriman.com | All Rights Reserved