Olde Scottish Shortbread is a delicious, buttery biscuit everyone loves! This makes 8 fingers (as in the photograph) or an 8″ round that can be cut into 8 triangles.
3oz plain flour
1. Heat the oven to Gas Mark 4, 350 F, 180 C.
2. Lightly flour a baking sheet or pan.
3. In a large bowl cream (whisk) the butter with 1 oz of sugar, work in the flour and cornflour, then add the remainder of the sugar.
4. Knead well until a smooth dough forms.
5. Shape into 8 fingers and place on baking sheet OR press entire dough into the floured 8″round baking pan.
6. Cook for approximately 20 minutes in the center of the oven. Remove from the heat. Cool in the tin.
* Jammy Shorts: Make 8 rounds (instead of 8 fingers). Press thumb in center of raw dough. Add a half-spoon of raspberry jelly. Bake as above.
* Fruit Sunflower: Cover a round of cooked shortbread with fresh fruit slices (peach, strawberry, raspberry, blackberry, pineapple) and scoops of vanilla ice cream. Sprinkle with chopped nuts. Serve at once.
* Shortbread Surprise: Add 1oz of glace cherries, raisins, chocolate chips, OR macadamia nuts to the raw dough. Stir and knead well. Cook as above.
(Photo: Public Domain)
Copyright © 2022 | KitPerriman.com | All Rights Reserved