4oz plain flour
4oz shredded suet
4oz brown sugar
4oz grated apple
1 grated carrot
4oz mixed fruit peel (candied peel)
2oz chopped dried apricots
4oz blanched chopped almonds
1 lemon – grated rind and juice
1 tablespoon treacle
1/4 pint beer or milk
2 tablespoons brandy
1 teaspoon mixed spice
I teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
pinch of salt
nub of butter for greasing pudding bowl
1. Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Stir thoroughly. Cover and leave overnight in the refrigerator.
2. Grease a large pudding bowl. Add the mixture and press down well. Cover with pleated greaseproof paper (allowing the pudding to rise and expand) held in place with an elastic band.
3. Place in a steamer and boil for 6-8 hours until the center is cooked through. Remove wet paper.
4. When the pudding is completely cold wrap in cling-film and store in an airtight container.
To Serve On Christmas Day:
1/4 cup brandy for firing
1 pint whipped thick fresh cream
5. Turn out pudding on to a microwave-safe plate. Heat (full power) in a microwave for 3-4 minutes until steaming. Place on dining table.
6. Pour over brandy. Carefully set the alcohol alight with a long match to flavor the pudding.
7. When the brandy burns out the pudding is ready to slice.
8. Serve with fresh whipped cream.
(Photo: Public Domain)
Copyright © 2022 | KitPerriman.com | All Rights Reserved