For a deliciously creamy rice pudding, try my Great Grandmother’s version:
knob of butter
1 pint of full milk
2oz short grain pudding rice
2oz castor sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
fresh grated nutmeg
1/4 pint fresh whipping cream
(Photo: Public Domain)
1. Heat the oven Gas 2/150 c/300 f
2. Grease a 2-pint baking dish with the knob of butter.
3. Slowly heat the milk in a large pan on the stove. Add the rice, sugar, salt, and vanilla essence, stirring constantly until the mixture boils.
4. Pour into a greased baking dish. Sprinkle with lots of grated nutmeg.
5. Bake 60-90 minutes until golden brown on top.
6. Remove and cool slightly.
7. Carefully peel off the skin if not required (though most people love it). Fold in the fresh cream and stir well.
8. Serve warm with homemade raspberry, strawberry, or blackberry jam.
For a fruitier, chewy version fold in 4oz of dried fruit (currants, raisins, or sultanas) to the pan of boiled rice before pouring into the baking dish.
Copyright © 2022 | KitPerriman.com | All Rights Reserved