Olde English Scones
8oz plain flour (save a little for rolling out dough)
3 teaspoons baking powder
pinch of salt
2oz dried sultanas or raisins
2oz butter (save a little for greasing tray)
1/4 pint milk
1 beaten egg (save a little for glazing)
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees / 230 degrees / Gas 8.
- Lightly grease a shallow flat baking tray.
- Place the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and stir together.
- Rub in the butter until the mixture looks like large breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar and dried fruit. Stir well.
- Mix in the beaten egg and milk to form a soft dough.
- Turn out on a lightly-floured surface and knead until the dough forms a large ball.
- Roll out to 1″ thickness. Press out 6-8 rounds with a pastry cutter. Place the rounds on tray.
- Brush with the egg glaze. Place in the middle of a hot oven for 12 – 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove to the cooling rack.
Serve warm with butter – or cold with jam and thick clotted cream!
Copyright © 2022 | KitPerriman.com | All Rights Reserved