Olde English Treacle Toffee
This chewy toffee is a great Halloween and Bonfire Night favorite! Try it for Thanksgiving . . .
Knob of butter for greasing pan
8oz brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
4oz dark treacle
4oz golden syrup
glass of cold water
- Melt the butter over a medium heat in a large pan.
- Mix in the sugar, cream of tartar, treacle, and syrup.
- Boil steadily but do not stir. After 10 minutes test for the soft crack (setting) by dropping a small spot of the mixture into the glass of cold water. Repeat every few minutes until the toffee turns solid. This may take up to 20 minutes. The longer the mixture boils, the harder the toffee will be.
- Pour into a lightly-greased flat baking tray and leave to cool.
- When set, turn out onto a wooden board and break into small pieces with a rolling pin or toffee hammer. Serve and enjoy.